Re: Internal communication among technical staff at your institution? Judie Quin 29 Sep 1999 09:13 EST

Hi Barbara,

In the Department of Pediatrics we had for about 8 years a group of lab
assistants, P.I.'s, fellows who met twice a year.  The way I orchestrated
it was to provide a centralized place where they could update their
formaldahyde training, bloodborne pathogen training, etc., required by the
University.  This was done in 2 identical half-day sessions, one morning
and one afternoon, trying to capture all the people possible.  It was very
popular and well-attended.  At the beginning and/or end of the sessions, I
would hold a discussion period when questions and comments could be raised.
 I think people appreciated it because, as you said, they are often
isolated from their peers, and no forum exists.

The meetings have gone by the wayside since I have been given additional
responsibilities without additional help.

Thanks, Judie

At 04:32 PM 9/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues:
>
>I recently sent you an e-mail asking what type of formalized groups you
>might have at your institution for administrators at the departmental and
>central levels to exchange information. I was very gratified by the quick
>response. We will be presenting information at the national SRA meeting
>about the usefulness of such groups.
>
>Now I am writing to you about a related topic. At the University of
>Rochester Medical Center we also have the Medical Center Technical Group, a
>voluntary organization for technical staff-both research and clinical, where
>they can exchange information about issues such as Human Resources, Vendors,
>Safety, Methods, etc. The members have found this very helpful since the
>techs are often rather isolated in their labs. We are wondering if any of
>you have similar groups, and, if so, how the are organized, how often they
>meet, etc.
>
>My technologist, Don Henderson, and I look forward to hearing from you.
>
>Barbara E. Herr, MS, CCRC
>Assistant Professor of Neurology
>Executive Director,
>Neuromuscular Disease Center