Re: Japanese Business Practices Greg Schmidt 13 Sep 1999 16:28 EST

I worked on a project in the Department of Health and Rehab Services in
Florida.  Our objective was to determine the true cost of providing services to
the population.  We first had to define the services.  We found over 5000.
Finding the direct costs to that was easy.  The burden added by the 15
districts plus headquarters administration was another story.  That was my job.

I couldn't justify charging overhead for medicare/medicaid audits to day care
slots, especially since we were trying something entirely new to state
government (or federal or local for that matter).  ABC was a logical extension
of what we wanted to do.  I modified it a bit, and came up with Attribute Based
Budgeting.  We were, after all, looking to do budgeting based upon
legislature's request for slots.

In researching, I found a lot of references to Japan.  I know several US
companies using ABC including Harley-Davidson who credits ABC to a good part of
their financial turn-around.  It would be a stretch for universities to use ABC
principles across the board.  But I could see it used in services centers.