Re: Institutional Base Salary vs. Cap in Applications - Summary Evelyn J. Ford 10 Sep 1999 09:03 EST

What about the text from NIH Notice 98-186:

The term "salary" has been interpreted by HHS Legal Counsel to mean "direct
salary", which is exclusive of fringe benefits and indirect costs/general
and administrative expenses.  "Direct salary" has the same meaning as the
term "institutional base salary".  An individual's institutional base
salary is the annual compensation that the applicant organization pays for
an individual's appointment, whether that individual's time is spent on
research, teaching,  patient care, or other activities.  Base salary
excludes any income that an individual may be permitted to earn outside of
duties to the applicant organization

-- Evelyn