Re: Contract Negotiations Judie Quin 08 Sep 1999 13:00 EST

As far as I can tell, there is no "normal" length of time, except that, in
the eyes of the researchers it is always too long.  Especially if it needs
to go to our university attorney's office, it can take 2 months before it
gets back to the sponsor, and then their response time can be equally as
long.  This is a continuing source of frustration, and unfortunately works
against having researchers take full advantage of the legal advice
available at the university.

I work at the departmental level, so have no direct input as to how things
are moved through the system.

Thanks, Judie

At 10:47 AM 9/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Here is one of those "simple" questions for which there is no simple
>answer.  What is the "normal" length of time it takes for the negotiation
> and processing of a commercial sponsor agreement which requires
>negotiations?  This would be the time from receipt of the proposed
>agreement in the Grants Office to execution of the final agreement.  We
>have had our share of the "easy" ones and that is not really my question.
> It seems more and more negotiations are required for various clauses.  We
> find it sometimes will take the sponsor quite a bit of time to respond to
>our comments or requests to revise clauses.  We are meeting with a group of
>researchers who have posed this question, with the indication that it takes
>longer then necessary to process the agreements in question.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Susan Benjamin
>Grant Administrator
>Health Research, Inc.