Re: NASA Expiration Date gschmidt 27 Aug 1999 14:43 EST

Sounds like their unexpended funds are reverting to Treasury... .  Probably
to pay for our tax relief.

NASA has been hard hit over the amount of "carry-over" funding they've been
having.  Apparently, the rates of expenditures are rather low, so Congress
is asking why the need for new money when the old hasn't been expended yet.
NASA hasn't figured out  outstanding obligations yet, so the only recourse
is to spend the money or draw it.  Of course, if you draw it (which shows as
an expenditure on their side which would make them happy), you'll owe them
interest.

Laurie Chamness wrote:

> Have you ever heard of NASA saying that funds on a Training Grant
> Supplement must be spent by the end of NASA's fiscal year (Sep 30, 1999)
> even though the project expiration date on the Training Grant is not
> until Feb 28, 2000?
>
> We have received incremental funding (6 Supplements) on a NASA Training
> Grant. A NASA Contract Officer told me that NASA considers the project
> expiration date to be Feb 28, 2000, because that is the expiration date
> on Supplement 6. However, the appropriation code on Supplement 2 shows
> that Supplement 2 funds are NASA's 1998 funds, which expire on Sep 30,
> 1999. We are being told by NASA that we must spend the Supplement 2
> funds by Sep 30, 1999, even though the project expiration date is Feb
> 28, 2000.
>
> This same NASA contract officer said that a no-cost extension would
> extend the project ending date, but would not effect the deadline by
> which the grant funds must be expended! I would appreciate hearing from
> anyone who has encountered this situation with NASA.
>
> Thanks,
> Laurie
>
> --
>
> Laurie P. Chamness                    Phone:  (843) 953-4973
> Assistant Director                        Fax:  (843) 953-6577
> Research & Grants Admin          E-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
> College of Charleston
> 66 George Street
> Charleston, SC  29424