Re: NIH-AREA (R15) budgets Evelyn J. Ford 17 Aug 1999 08:54 EST

Franci --

I think you're stuck with designing a 2-year program for $50K/year.
Modular grants are going to force PIs to think differently about how they
structure their research.  Personally, I hate 2-year grants -- you have to
start writing renewals or new applications almost before you've even
analyzed the data from the current study.

Refresh my memory:  Are R15s covered under expanded authorities?  Perhaps,
the PI can design a 2-year program that would pass study section muster,
but then actually take 3 years (speading accordingly, of course), with a
one-year no-cost time extension.  Finally, has the PI called the
appropriate institute to discuss this problem and get their suggestions?

It will be interesting to see over the next few years how NIH actually
funds these modular awards and how we creatively spread the financing!  I
heard from one source that NIH may not actually make all the awards on a
modular basis but might still fund based on a detail budget requested at
the time of the award.  It seems to me that NIH has a problem when they
apply a limit of $100K to 3 years, from the modular point of view.

-- Evelyn