Re: Postdoc Status Deanne Hoenscheid 10 Aug 1999 11:53 EST

I have only been with the university for a year, but based on what I've
learned in my position, I've answered your questions about this subject
below.

Randall Legeai wrote:

> We are in the process of reviewing position classifications for "postdocs,"
> and I would like to find out how other institutions handle these types of
> positions.  I'm primarily interested in the more typical postdoctoral
> positions that might be broadly defined as being grant-funded and occupied
> by individuals with Ph.D. degrees who are doing focused research under a
> mentoring relationship with a faculty member.  I am also interested in
> learning about any other types of postdoctoral positions that might exist
> (for example, positions that are primarily teaching-oriented).  I am
> interested in learning:
>
> 1.  What are the most typical position titles for postdocs?  For example,
> we typically use Postdoctoral Research Associate or Postdoctoral Fellow.

We use Postdoctoral Research Associate in most instances.  There are
occasions where we classify the person as a "Visiting Research
Scientist" depending on the circumstances.

> 2.  Are they treated as Staff or as Faculty, and do they receive staff or
> faculty benefits?

The Research Associate is treated as staff and receives the same
benefits as staff.  The Visiting Research Scientist is not entitled to
the same benefits as the Research Associate.

> 3.  Is there a formal or informal limitation on the length of time they can
> remain in postdoctoral positions (positions with "postdoctoral" titles)?

Research Associates are given a 3 year time limit at which point we are
to either hire them on as a regular staff position or end their
appointment.

Visiting Research Scientists are usually here a shorter period of time.

> 4.  What are their duties.  In particular, do they have teaching
> responsibilities?

I am not aware of their duties other than research.  As far as I know,
the Research Associates and Visiting Scientists in our department do not
have teaching responsibilities, but I cannot be absolutely sure of this.

> Any feedback list members could provide would be most helpful.  Feel free
> to respond directly to me at <xxxxxx@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu>.
>
> Thanks,

> Randall J. Legeai
> Assoc. Director, <http://www.tulane.edu/~govtaff/>Institutional Program
> Development and Gov't/Agency Affairs
> Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118, USA
> (phn) 504/865-5758 ext. 1846.  (fax) 504/865-5274
> <http://www.tulane.edu/~govtaff/rlhome.htm>

Deanne L. Hoenscheid                    Phone:  (610)758-3863
Materials Research Center               Fax:    (610)758-3526
Lehigh University                               E-mail: xxxxxx@lehigh.edu
462 Whitaker Lab
5 E. Packer Avenue
Bethlehem, PA  18015