Re: Research Lab Space Allocation HigginsonDavidA@xxxxxx 29 Jul 1999 15:38 EST

I would also be very interested in any information anyone could share on
this.

In the past we have used annualized grant dollars awarded for research
taking place each lab, but it is by no means perfect. Other suggestions had
been publications per year, editorships per year etc. It seems there is no
magic bullet, rather that a range of indicators is necessary.

David

David Higginson
Vice President
Arkansas Children's Hospital Research Institute
1120 Marshall Street
Little Rock, AR 72202
Tel: (501) 320-3757
Fax: (501) 320-3547
Private Fax: (630) 640-5050
Email : xxxxxx@exchange.uams.edu
Web : http://achri.ach.uams.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Judie Quin [mailto:xxxxxx@PO.CWRU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 1999 11:46 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Research Lab Space Allocation

I'm seeking information on how institutions, especially teaching hospitals,
allocate lab space to researchers, and if there is any such thing as a
recognized national standard for lab space, cost per sq. ft., whether the
allocation is based on direct or indirect recovery, etc.  If (as I suspect)
the allocation policy is individual by institution, department, hospital,
etc., how was it arrived at and put into effect?

Thanks, Judie Quin

Judith E. Quin
Grants Manager
Department of Pediatrics