Re: Federal Salary Cap & PHS398 Form Page 4 Morgan, Jennifer 29 Jul 1999 10:08 EST

Evelyn-
I have always been a proponent of using the salary cap as the number in the
budget, but my resolve is wavering.  As it is likely that the cap may
increase, you are running the risk of not being given an increase in an
ongoing budget if you do not use the actual amount.  I've had a discussion
with Diana Jaeger about it and her recommendation is to include the actual
amount, but of course, do the calculations on the cap.

We are only required to give the salary amounts on the originals, and not
the copies.  If you use the actuals, I would recommend doing this simply for
the reason that the scientific reviewers do not really need to know the
actuals and it could prejudice the panel.

Jennifer Morgan, M.H.A.
Director, Office of Grants and Contracts
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Systems
3811 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh PA  15213