Re: Record Retention policy Greg Schmidt 27 Jul 1999 13:47 EST

I hear your glubs!

Last I heard, A-110 sez award closeout plus 3 years.  I keep asking NASA to
end some of our projects that have been going on for 18 years now.   No
such luck.  We still have those vouchers, ledgers, memos, awards, etc.,
etc., etc.!  Our building has a distinctive lean.

It's a royal pain in the keester.  The rest of the university is on 5
years.  So which records can you safely discard?  You have to go through
document by document.  There really should be a better way (hint, hint).

The best we came up with is the elimination of duplication.  If we had the
original, we discarded all copies.  This helped, but we're still sinking.

Rochelle Athey wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> The need for a record retention policy for Sponsored Programs at my
> university has recently become apparent to me (as I drown in paper).
> Rather than reinvent the wheel, I wondered if any of you have record
> retention policies that you could share?  Email them to me or send me a
> URL if you have the policy on the web.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!
>
> Rochelle Athey
> Sponsored Programs Director