Re: R21 Charlie Hathaway 26 Jul 1999 08:39 EST

Kathleen-

The issue of unsolicited R21 (and R03) submissions to NIH has to be answered for each institute (fiefdom).

Not every institute even uses these mechanisms.  An old source on this is:
http://www.nih.gov/grants/guide/1994/94.01.07/notice-nih-grant-sup005.html

AND...each institute tends to flavor the mechanisms according to  its own needs.

In general, for the institutes that do use R21, unsolicited applications are not accepted or encouraged.  There are exceptions to this.  A potential PI should contact a program person to discuss.  In the case of an R03 or R21, I would especially encourage pre-submission contact even if responding to an R03 or R21 announcement.

Charlie Hathaway

At 02:43 PM 7/23/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been looking for information on NIH's Exploratory/Developmental
>Research Project Grant (R21).  Are these investigator initiated or only
>funded through a PA or RFA?  Thanks in advance for your response.
>
>Kathleen Hogue Gonzalez, CRA
>Associate Director, Research Administration
>Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute
>747 52nd Street
>Oakland, CA 94609
>Phone 510-428-3511
>Fax 510-428-3608
>Email xxxxxx@mail.cho.org

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs