Re: USFS "Challenge Cost Share" agreements Mckeough, Pamela M 23 Jul 1999 16:11 EST

Just last week our institution received a Challenger Cost-Share Agreement.
This one is from the Rocky Mountain Research Station, USDA Forest Service.
I raised the same question and spoke to our Program Manager (Larry Schmidt).
He told me that indirect cost was allowed but that they "strongly
encouraged" us to waive it and use it to meet the matching requirement
instead.

As additional information, the Research Joint Venture Agreements do NOT
allow indirect costs and specifically state this in the contract.

Pamela M. McKeough
Director, Sponsored Program Administration
Research and Sponsored Programs
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Phone:  (317) 274-8285
E-mail:  xxxxxx@iupui.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Farnsworth, Franci [mailto:xxxxxx@JAGUAR.MIDDLEBURY.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 23, 1999 8:26 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: USFS "Challenge Cost Share" agreements

I've just spent an hour on the USFS web site trying to find out what the
actual policies and regulations are regarding "challenge cost share"
agreements -- the closest I've come is the Forest Service Manual which is
cumbersome and not much help.     There used to be some great web-based
information but the sites have moved or been discontinued.  Are indirect
costs (F&A) allowable,  paid by USFS and/or as cost-share?     I'd be
interested in advice from anyone with experience with these agreements,
particularly if you are NOT a land grant institution.

Franci Farnsworth

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
Munford House