Re: Software for NSF FASTLANE Rosemary Ruff 22 Jul 1999 08:27 EST

Adobe is willing to work with us (educational institutions) on this.  Check
out the following URL:

http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/NOTES/80e2.htm

Auburn has mounted Acrobat Distiller on one of our backbone servers.
Faculty and staff can ftp their postscript files to the server and distill
them there, creating pdf files.  This is especially nice for the Linux/Unix
users because they also commonly use Tex or LaTex to prepare documents -
next step for them is to postscript the vi they generate.  Mac/Windows
users simply use a postscript driver and print to file.  It is a little
inconvenient to ftp the files back and forth but it is a low cost
alternative.  With Adobe's new policies (above), we may rethink this but
its been working OK for over a year now.

Rosemary

At 04:21 PM 7/21/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I should mention that ADOBE may indeed offer "group licenses" for
>institutions such as Universities.  We (NSF) have been working closely with
>them as a government agency to arrange for access to copies at a reduced
>cost.  I've been working with Kenneth Wylie at xxxxxx@adobe.com.  While he
>is their Government Systems' contact representative, he still may be able to
>provide the right contact person for an institutional sponsored research
>office rep.
>
>Florence Rabanal
>National Science Foundation
>MPS FastLane Project Coordinator

Rosemary H. Ruff                   VOICE: 334-844-4438
Assistant Director                 FAX:   334-844-5953
Contracts & Grants Administration  EMAIL: xxxxxx@mail.auburn.edu
310 Samford Hall                   Auburn, AL 36849-5131
Trains stop at train stations.  Busses stop at bus stations.  On my desk I
have a workstation...