Re: Software for NSF FASTLANE Rabanal, Florence I 21 Jul 1999 15:21 EST

I should mention that ADOBE may indeed offer "group licenses" for
institutions such as Universities.  We (NSF) have been working closely with
them as a government agency to arrange for access to copies at a reduced
cost.  I've been working with Kenneth Wylie at xxxxxx@adobe.com.  While he
is their Government Systems' contact representative, he still may be able to
provide the right contact person for an institutional sponsored research
office rep.

Florence Rabanal
National Science Foundation
MPS FastLane Project Coordinator

-----Original Message-----
From: Peggy Lowry [mailto:xxxxxx@MURRAYSTATE.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 1999 4:13 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: Software for NSF FASTLANE

Just this morning I suggested to our academic computing office that they
explore either a site license for this software, or working out some
arrangement so the software could be made available on the university
server. Unfortunately making a copy or two available in a central location
is not convenient for those faculty who need access outside office hours. I
think the "university" should make every effort to provide easy access to
the tools needed to submit proposal electronically, especially when
electronic submission is required.
Peg Lowry
Murray State University

At 02:33 PM 7/21/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Some faculty members are complaining that they are not equipped with the
>proper software to do proposals via FASTLANE and are wondering if the
>University should be providing the software?  By University, I suppose
>they mean the administrative units or the Grants Office.   They are
>having problems because they use Linux and other packages and do not
>have Adobe Acrobat and don't use Word etc. etc.    Have any of you had
>this problem and would you say the faculty should contact their chairs
>and deans about getting proper software or just stop complaining and buy
>the things necessary?
>
>Thanks,
>  Eleanor Cicinsky

Peggy S. Lowry