Re: Definition of "Major Subcontractor" Greg Schmidt 21 Jul 1999 11:50 EST

Wrong spot to look.  Try A-21, G.2. Determination and Application of F&A cost rate or rates.  The distribution basis.  It says:

 F&A costs shall be distributed to applicable sponsored agreements and other
 benefiting activities within each major function (see Section B.1) on the basis of modified total direct costs, consisting of
 all salaries and wages, fringe benefits, materials and supplies, services, travel, and subgrants and subcontracts up to the
 first $25,000 of each subgrant or subcontract (regardless of the period covered by the subgrant or subcontract). Equipment,
 capital expenditures, charges for patient care and tuition remission, rental costs, scholarships, and fellowships as well as
 the portion of each subgrant and subcontract in excess of $25,000 shall be excluded from modified total direct costs.

Cathy Richards - Spon Research wrote:

> Our indirect cost agreement specifies that we can not charge indirect
> costs on the portion of major subcontracts in excess of $25,000.  Am
> looking for a  more specific definition of “major subcontract”.  Have
> referenced A-133 section 210 and found the information to be vague –
> what a surprise.
> Was wondering what others use as criteria for determining whether a
> vendor is considered a major subcontractor or simply a consultant.

Greg Schmidt
Manager, Contract & Grant Accounting
Florida A&M University
201 FHAC