Re: HTML files Joe Titone 09 Jul 1999 10:47 EST

It's almost always a problem because HTML is not word processing or not
word processing as we've come to know it.  I don't have a solution for
forms, but text can be reformatted by using the Find and Replace features
in both Word and WordPerfect.

I can supply detail if necessary.

in WordPerfect and Word <Ctrl> + <F> brings up the Find dialogue box.

a) WP: Match/Codes and insert HRt
 then replace with nothing to remove all hard returns

 the document will still look strange, but if you put 2 spaces in the
find box and replace with nothing, all the text should line up correctly.

WP's reveal codes may have to be invoked to determine what other codes need
to be removed.

b) Word: Replace/More/Special leads to much the same procedure, but it may
take some experimenting because Word doesn't have a Reveal Codes feature.

I'm more familiar with WP, so perhaps someone else has a better way.

I've copied text from the Web into both Word and WP, and have been able to
get it formatted correctly using the Find and Replace feature.

There may also be some utilities available that make this job easier.

E.g., the following is from Woody's Office Watch #4.28:

 "Woody's Office POWER Pack (WOPR)" has a neat little
 utility 'Fix Line Breaks' that will do the job in a flash.
 You can get an evaluation version of WOPR (for Word v6, v95
 or v97) from http://www.wopr.com/

And of course, your technical support staff probaly has other ways of doing
it.

At 06:26 AM 7/9/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a question re: HTML files.  Many guidelines, forms, solicitations
>are found in HTML format on the web.  When I print them, the text lands
>on the page wherever it fits and each page has a header and footer.
>Many times forms are half on one page, half on the next.  I much prefer
>PDF but it's not always available.  Does anyone know how to save HTML
>files and retreive them into a cleaner format?  For example, the DOE
>grant guide is now available on the web and it's long.  To print a
>hardcopy for reference, it's going to be longer in HTML because of the
>headers and footers.
>Ruth Tallman

Joe Titone
Dept. of Contracts and Grants