Re: PER DIEM RATES Herbert B. Chermside 07 Jul 1999 15:12 EST

If you have the authority to make it happen, I'd advise that per diem rates
be set as "Per diem retes approved by the Federal government for their own
use".  This would mean a publically available set of published rates (GSA
does it for continental US and DOD sets it for foreign locations) that will
be acceptable for federal awards and will match what IRS allows, thus
avoiding some tax headaches for the reimbursed traveler.  Also, by setting
them in reference to trhis reliably maintained information, you do not have
to worry about constant update.

This is a typical "lazy administrator" response -- one that waves everyone
time!

Chuck

At 02:11 PM 7/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>Our institute is in the process of revising our travel policy, specially
>per diem rates.  It would be very helpful to know what other institutions'
>rates are for reference.
>
>I would appreciate any responses.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Amy Tang