Re: MOU and MOA Greg Schmidt 14 Jun 1999 07:40 EST

A hundred years ago, when I was in private industry, I used MOU's primarily
with subcontractors on a job we were bidding.  It established the basic
agreement we would sign IF we were awarded the contract thus allowing a rapid
deployment of subs to the work site.  It also assured us that the subs were
committed to the project, and told us how much they were going to cost.

We used MOA's when the project was going on for minor modifications to the
statements of work to the subs.  We only used them when we had reasonable
assurances that we would be compensated for any additional work or different
site conditions than described in the RFP and our inspections.

We differentiated MOU's and MOA's because the word Agreement has a stronger
legal connotation than understanding.  Understandings could be a documentation
of telephone conversations (I did that with the insurance brokers who'd NEVER
reply in writing).  Agreements ususally had  two signatures.

--
Greg Schmidt
Manager, Contract & Grant Accounting

DUNS:  623751831