Re: Adjunct faculty Peter J. Dolce 28 May 1999 10:45 EST
Thanks Tim.  Very helpful.  After being taken aback for a second, I read the
statement "The principal investigator is included in this category" to mean
that the PI need not request compensation from the grant (instead the PI is
paid by the university), rather than that NIH contemplates a situation in which
someone who is not employed by an organization serves as PI.  As for
"responsible to the applicant organization"--the means for holding someone
who's not employed "responsible" are not obvious.  The obvious example is a PI
who leaves an institution without filing the final report on a grant.