Re: Adjunct faculty Herbert B. Chermside 28 May 1999 08:01 EST

At VCU the institutional practice is that anyone who is on the payroll at
the time of the award (including being put on the payroll due to funds in
the award) AND HAS APPROVAL OF THE APPROPRIATE DEAN (which allow the dean
to be more restrictive, or apply other criteria to allow PIship) may apply
as, and serve as, PI.

I am particularly concerned with the University's control over the PI and
the PI's duty to act in the University's interests.  (At least, the theory
behind this concerns me; application of the theory is the responsibility of
academic managers; if I solve the theory, they have the tools to
implement!)  We are a state institution, so our employees' duty to the
employer are very clearly spelled out.  An institution without state law
behind the employment might want to look at the basis of the legal relation
of the employee to the institution before making a PIship policy.

Kinda like "taking the King's shilling!"

Chuck

At 04:25 PM 5/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anybody out there allow adujuct faculty--by which I mean person who
>hold faculty status and, say, teach from time to time, but are not
>employees--to apply for grants?
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\dolcep19.vcf"

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568