Re: NIH Modular Grant Applications Herbert B. Chermside 27 May 1999 11:24 EST

VCU is using the "actual" F&A Base and F&A amount, as determined using our
spreadsheet.  (see:  http://views.vcu.edu/views/ospa/budgetsheet.html
for modular grant spreadsheet -- some of you have looked at it before.)
This spreadsheet enables the PI to create a budget very closely approaching
an exact modular amount.  In practice, the PI's come within $100-200 of an
even multiple modules across all years, so any "loss" of F&A in the budget
process is a cheap price to pay for a VERY simple budget review ("send a
copy of the spreadsheet!") and a consistent approach by all PI's.

Chuck

At 11:56 AM 5/25/99 -0500, Diane M Meyer wrote:
>    I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have already dealt with
>these issues!
>
>  Since the Indirect Cost is reported on the checklist separate from the
>Module amount, should the PI show IDC based on
> -- the real dollars needed (if less than the module amount) OR
> -- the Module amount (knowing that it will revert to NIH if not used, but
>at least we have it)?
>
>   If that happens, the PI will overspend the IDC (if we use the first
>scenario above).
>
>   The real dollar total or the Module Total?
>
> I don't assume NIH expects to see the same numbers on the Checklist and
>the Budget (Module) page since *their* examples show a difference. . . but
>what is the reality?
>

> Diane M. Meyer & Grants Iowa State University 221 Beardshear   50011
>515-294-8000 (fax) http://grants-svr.admin.iastate.edu/candg.html
Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568