Type Size Nelson, Cindy L. 25 May 1999 10:48 EST

We also had an application returned because the cpi was greater, in some
parts of the text, than 15 cpi.    We went through and measured each font
size with a ruler (to check cpi and lines per inch).  We found that CG Times
12 was best.  We use Word 97 and an Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4000 printer.

Cindy Nelson
Director, Research Services
Texas Children's Cancer Center
Department of Pediatrics
Baylor College of Medicine
email:  xxxxxx@bcm.tmc.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Automatic digest processor [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 1999 11:00 PM
To: Recipients of RESADM-L digests
Subject: RESADM-L Digest - 21 May 1999 to 24 May 1999

Topics of the day:

 1. F&A rates for field work
 2. Type Size (5)
 3. Administrative position available

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 12:27:32 EST
From:    Richard Moore <xxxxxx@COASTAL.EDU>
Subject: Re: F&A rates for field work

Unless the researcher is working  "off campus" at university
owned/leased facilities, the on campus rate should apply.

 Dr. Richard H. Moore
 Assistant Vice President for Grants and Sponsored Research
Coastal Carolina University           Internet: xxxxxx@coastal.edu
P.O. Box 261954                          Voice: 843-349-2050
Conway SC 29528-6054                       FAX: 843-349-2726
 ***NOTE NEW AREA CODE***

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 15:47:07 -0400
From:    "Herbert B. Chermside" <xxxxxx@VCU.EDU>
Subject: Type Size

This has been discussed, but I lost my copies!

What typeface and size has been discovered which meets NIH requirements on
the 398?  We have been using Times New Roman 10, but, based on a rejection
from AHCPR, it has more than 15 Characters per inch.

This is a critical question, as we have been providing "fill in the blanks"
398 forms for the June/July deadline with this typaface/size.

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568
Express Delivery Only:
 Sanger Hall, Rm. 1-073
 11th & Marshall Streets
 Richmond, VA  23219
Voice:  804-828-6772
Fax     804-828-2521
OFFICE e-mail   xxxxxx@VCU.EDU
Personal e-mail xxxxxx@vcu.edu
http://views.vcu.edu/views/ospa/

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 15:56:12 -0400
From:    "John Whyte, M.D. Ph.D." <xxxxxx@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: Administrative position available

Moss Rehabilitation Research Institute in Philadelphia is seeking a part
time scientific administrator to perform advanced level strategic
planning and budget development; represent MRRI in marketing and
development activities; develop and implement new and existing research
policies; develop research systems for managing information and
prompting key events.

The candidate must possess excellent analytical and fiscal modeling
skills and good computer skills.  The position requires prior research
experience; a PhD in a scientific discipline and federal funding track
record are desireable.

Director, at: xxxxxx@vm.temple.edu. Resumes can also be sent by mail to:
John Whyte, MD, PhD
Director
Moss Rehabilitation Research Institute
1200 W. Tabor Rd.
Philadelphia PA 19141

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 16:11:05 -0400
From:    "Morgan, Jennifer" <xxxxxx@MSX.UPMC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Type Size

Chuck-
There is great variability between different computer-printer-software
configurations, thus, what works for me will not necessarily work for you.
Almost without fail, though, Times Roman 10 won't work.  Try Times Roman 11,
it might.

It may seem an antiquated practice, but this is what I still do... if a
proposal looks like the typeface might be questionable, I perform the
following ritual:
1.  get out my trusty ruler
2.  measure 3 inches of text
3.  count the characters
4.  divide by 15.
If you come up with an answer that is greater than 3.0, increase your font
size.

Also remember to measure to insure that you don't have more than 6 lines per
vertical inch.  I've seen applications returned for that one, too.
-Jennifer

Jennifer Morgan, M.H.A.
Director, Office of Grants and Contracts
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Systems
3811 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh PA  15213

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 16:08:49 -0400
From:    Audrey Buck <xxxxxx@POBOX.UPENN.EDU>

The instructions in the 398 book state "the height of the letters must not
be small than 10 point; 2) type density must be no more than 15 cpi.  Have
you tried the 12 point?  With that you should get less than the 15 cpi.
Remember, also, that "no more than 6 lines of type must be within a vertical
inch."

At 03:47 PM 5/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>This has been discussed, but I lost my copies!
>
>What typeface and size has been discovered which meets NIH requirements on
>the 398?  We have been using Times New Roman 10, but, based on a rejection
>from AHCPR, it has more than 15 Characters per inch.
>
>This is a critical question, as we have been providing "fill in the blanks"
>398 forms for the June/July deadline with this typaface/size.
>
>Chuck
>
>Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
>Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
>Virginia Commonwealth University
>PO BOX 980568
>Richmond, VA  23298-0568
>Express Delivery Only:
>        Sanger Hall, Rm. 1-073
>        11th & Marshall Streets
>        Richmond, VA  23219
>Voice:  804-828-6772
>Fax     804-828-2521
>OFFICE e-mail   xxxxxx@VCU.EDU
>Personal e-mail xxxxxx@vcu.edu
>http://views.vcu.edu/views/ospa/

Audrey C. Buck
Senior Contract Administrator
Research Services
Phone:  (215) 573 6709
Fax:    (215) 898 9708
email:  xxxxxx@pobox.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 16:07:28 -0500
From:    "Peter J. Dolce" <xxxxxx@CCVAX.MMC.EDU>

--------------0FAC25B256BE2C110FC87C1C

Ditto to what Jennifer says: count'em because the same number of points
produces different characters per inch in different fonts.  Times Roman
10 is too small and can be spotted easily.  Times Roman 11 may not
produce an average count above 15 cpi, but in a phrase like
"illigitimate lilliputian" it can.  Times Roman 12 is always safe, but
it sure is big.  About five years ago we had one application returned by
NIH and another by NSF becasue the type was too small.  (In each case
the SRA let the PI return corrected copies in a few days for the same
review cycle).  None has been returned since, and NIH regularly accepts
our applications in 11 point Times Roman.  But we give a stern warning
to 10 pointers: type that small is unlikely to win the heart of a
reviewer who submits all her applications in 11 and 12 point type--and
the difference is EASY to see.

Why is it that PIs have such difficulty understanding that professional
who daily handle such tricky notions as titer and joules have such a
hard time understading the concept of "characters per inch"?

--------------0FAC25B256BE2C110FC87C1C

begin:vcard
n:Dolce;Peter
tel;fax:615 327 6716
tel;work:615 327 6703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Meharry Medical College
adr:;;1005 Todd Boulevard;Nashville;TN ;37208;
version:2.1
email;internet:xxxxxx@ccvax.mmc.edu
title:Director, Research Support Services
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6960
fn:Peter J. Dolce
end:vcard

Date:    Mon, 24 May 1999 14:39:48 -0700
From:    jlubina <xxxxxx@ARG.ORG>

We've consistently used 11 pt Helvetica with good results.
Judith Lubina
Manager, Research Services
Alcohol Research Group
xxxxxx@arg.org