Re: Type Size Morgan, Jennifer 24 May 1999 15:11 EST

Chuck-
There is great variability between different computer-printer-software
configurations, thus, what works for me will not necessarily work for you.
Almost without fail, though, Times Roman 10 won't work.  Try Times Roman 11,
it might.

It may seem an antiquated practice, but this is what I still do... if a
proposal looks like the typeface might be questionable, I perform the
following ritual:
1.  get out my trusty ruler
2.  measure 3 inches of text
3.  count the characters
4.  divide by 15.
If you come up with an answer that is greater than 3.0, increase your font
size.

Also remember to measure to insure that you don't have more than 6 lines per
vertical inch.  I've seen applications returned for that one, too.
-Jennifer

Jennifer Morgan, M.H.A.
Director, Office of Grants and Contracts
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Systems
3811 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh PA  15213