Re: qualifications and job description -Reply Charlie Hathaway 10 May 1999 09:25 EST

I agree with Bill.

But I would suggest that a long-term view also be considered:

Could a PhD leaving academia/research eventually come to understand
institutional budgetary concerns and cost accounting standards?  Probably.

Could a CPA/CRA without research experience eventually come to understand
what it is like to start an experiment on Monday, work on it all week, find
out it was a flop on Friday, and then spend all day Saturday writing a
grant proposal?  Probably not.

Remember:  Marv Levy DID play college football!

Charlie Hathaway

At 08:45 AM 5/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Mitchell, I think you should be quite flexible about your requirements.
Folks
>wander into research administration through a variety of routes, none of
which
>is automatically better than any of the others.  There is no prescribed means
>of preparation for this job.
>
>I recommend listing the bare minimum of qualifications (Master's required,
>doctorate preferred; 3-5 years experience working in higher ed; etc.) but
>listing the sorts of things you expect this person to do.  Will s/he write
>proposals?  Then list proposal-writing experience.  Create budgets or oversee
>post-award accounting?  Then mention those tasks, perhaps require some
>experience.  Find funding sources?  Experience with funding agencies?
Mention
>that.
>
>But the most important things may be ability to work with faculty in
stressful
>situations; high degree of tolerance for ambiguity; ability to work on many
>tasks at once; sense of humor; excellent communication skills, both
written and
>oral; and--most important of all--willingness to do whatever has to be
done to
>get proposals out the door.
>
>The trick, I think, is to write a job description which is flexible enough to
>attract a bunch of highly qualified candidates, select the few most likely
and
>interview them; if they don't wash, keep going down the list.
>
>Regards and good luck,
>Bill Campbell (Ph.D.)
>Director, Grants & Research
>University of Wisconsin-River Falls

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
908A Belfer
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs