Re: Citizenship issue Shelly Pettyjohn 10 May 1999 08:40 EST

** High Priority **

Shelly writes - Thank you, Mr. Chemside,  for responding to my email inquiry re: the CRA.  I guess I should have stated that I do, in fact, have 6 yrs. in research administration but it was a CDC grant for tuberculosis and it was performed out of the Public Health Dept. although I still was under the employ of UNTHSC.  So actually, I do have over 3 yrs. of research administration, only not on a level like I do now.

I am currently attending all seminars I can and reading information contained in the SRA's Body of Knowledge, along with many other sources of information.

I appreciate your taking the time to contact me.
Sincerely, Shelly Pettyjohn

>>> "Herbert B. Chermside" <xxxxxx@VCU.EDU> - 5/7/99 4:24 PM >>>
Shelly, I'm answering as a member of the Board of Directors of RACC -- and
replying by the listserve in case others face your problem/confusion.

Prerequisite to sitting for the CRA exam is three years experience in
research administration.  If you message implies that your employer expects
you to achieve the CRA by autmn 1999, please refer them to me or another
board member to clarify this requirement.

For increasing your skills in the profession, look at the way most SRA and
many NCURA meeting schedules are arranged, to give focus on several of the
areas of the body of knowledge.  As you approach the time that you intend
to sit for the exam, it will probably be helpful to take one of the review
sessions RACC presents, at least 6 months before.  Even RA's with lots of
experience find them helpful, e.g., three professionals with 10 years in my
office, whom I knew could pass cold, said that the review was very
beneficial, both to deal with a single, comprehensive overview to help
understand the interactions of itgems and subjects, and an indicator of
weazknesses to be improved upon in the next few months.

Two of them have been hired away, based on their professionalism, of which
the CRA was part.

Hang in there!!!  It DOES take time to get to the required level of
professionalism  --  and even those of us who have been around a long time
continue to learn something every day.

Chuck

At 03:11 PM 5/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>** High Priority **
>
>Dear Ms. Spina - I saw your comment on the RESADM list serv and I noticed
that you are a CRA.  I have just dipped my toes in the proverbial research
pool and it was suggested that I achieve CRA accreditation.

>When did you take the test?  Is it hard?  The Body of Knowledge is so BIG.
 I have until October 31 to take the test but I won't even have been in
Research a year until November 1, 1999.

>Are there any other recommended study materials?
>
>Thanks so much for your anticipated reply.
>
>Shelly Pettyjohn
>Research & Biotechnology
>Univ. of N. Tx. Health Science Ctr. @ Ft. Worth, Texas

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA