Re: qualifications and job description Herbert B. Chermside 10 May 1999 07:45 EST

At 05:04 PM 5/7/99 -0500, Mitchell Berman wrote:
>We are a searching for a new ORSP director, and could use some wisdom about
>what to look for in such a person. We are a University of about 14,000
>students moving toward Carnagie II status.
>
>1. Should a Ph.D. be a requirement for the job?

NO -- but it is not an impedement.  If the faculty is unable to accept the
guidance, support and servioces of an expert unless he/she has a terminal
degree, it is the faculty who has the flaw.  There is no formal education
package, at any level, that provides the package of skills needed for this
position.  There are Ph.D.'s who wish to move to administration who might
fit, but make sure they have the skills of an administrator.  Filling this
piosition by the Peter Principle will damage your program!!

>2. Should the applicant have experience as PI on large federal grants?

Not necessarily.  Often a "big" PI's "executive officer" has better
knowledge of the administrative environment than the P.I., depending on the
PI's style.  BUT he/she MUST understand the PI's needs, however that is
gained.

>3. What level of past scholarly activity should the applicant have?

This position is STAFF TO THE WHOLE FACULTY.  Scholarly activity is not
necessary.  However, if you are looking at bringing in an experienced
outsider, PROFESSIONAL activity, from professional society activity to
presentations/publications/training in the profession are a major plus.

>4. Should the applicant be outstanding at "beating the bushes" in DC and
>our state capitol for funding?

That is a matter for institutional style and the interaction with  other
positions/individuals in administration.  Supplying the best information on
funding opportunities should be a major responsibility, but how that's done
should be an institutions stratecy.  Few individuals have "beat the bushes"
connections outside of a specific field, agency, whatever; this could lead
to services being focused, to the detriment of some who are out of the line
of sight.

Chuck

>Mitchell E. Berman, Ph.D.
>University of Southern Mississippi