Re: Citizenship issue Mary T. Spina, CRA 07 May 1999 14:39 EST

Actually, when it comes to training grants for the Department of Education,
there are no citizenship requirements that I have found.  The program
guidelines of the ones I have seen don't address it.  I have asked program
officers and grants management officials, and been told that unless it's
specifically addressed in the guidelines and not allowed, go ahead.  And
I've never seen it addressed for DofEd.

- Mary

At 03:17 PM 05/07/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>DANGER!  What do you mean by "stipend"?
>Faculty members often misuse this word to mean any funds received by a
>student.  A student may receive PAY for services rendered, or a
>FELLOWSHIP/SCHOLARSHIP to defray expenses while studying/learning.  Some
>federal agencies use the word "stipend" for the latter, but never for the
>former.
>
>You may PAY a student for work performed on a project, even a non citizen
>if she has the right type of visa (ask your international affairs people
>about visa type).
>
>Most federal FELOOWSHIP grants or TRAINEES ON TRAINING GRANTS are limited
>to citizens or permanent residents, BUT CHECK THE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS,
>that's where they specify this limitation.
>
>Chuck
>
>At 12:13 PM 5/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I've been asked to document if we can legally pay a stipend to a
>>graduate student from Canada with U.S. Dept. of Ed. funds.  The graduate
>>student qualifies for the stipend if citizenship is not an issue.  I've
>>looked through all the documentation I can find and cannot find a
>>statement that disallows awarding stipends to students that are not U.S.
>>citizens.  Does anyone know of a document that speaks to this issue?
>>
>>Thanks for your help.
>>Keith

>Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
>Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
>Virginia Commonwealth University
>PO BOX 980568
>Richmond, VA  23298-0568
>Express Delivery Only: