Re: Citizenship issue Herbert B. Chermside 07 May 1999 14:17 EST

DANGER!  What do you mean by "stipend"?
Faculty members often misuse this word to mean any funds received by a
student.  A student may receive PAY for services rendered, or a
FELLOWSHIP/SCHOLARSHIP to defray expenses while studying/learning.  Some
federal agencies use the word "stipend" for the latter, but never for the
former.

You may PAY a student for work performed on a project, even a non citizen
if she has the right type of visa (ask your international affairs people
about visa type).

Most federal FELOOWSHIP grants or TRAINEES ON TRAINING GRANTS are limited
to citizens or permanent residents, BUT CHECK THE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS,
that's where they specify this limitation.

Chuck

At 12:13 PM 5/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I've been asked to document if we can legally pay a stipend to a
>graduate student from Canada with U.S. Dept. of Ed. funds.  The graduate
>student qualifies for the stipend if citizenship is not an issue.  I've
>looked through all the documentation I can find and cannot find a
>statement that disallows awarding stipends to students that are not U.S.
>citizens.  Does anyone know of a document that speaks to this issue?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Keith

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University