Re: Material Transfer & Nondisclosure Agreements Herbert B. Chermside 30 Apr 1999 16:24 EST

At 04:16 PM 4/30/99 -0400, Derek Humphrey wrote:
>At our weekly tech transfer meeting the topic of steamlining the process of
>reveiwing our procedures for MTAs and Nondisclosure Agreements came up.
>
>Would the ListServ please respond to these few questions?
>
>        -What is your internal review process for MTAs?

PRIMARY IS DIR, TT;  BACKUP IS DIR, OSPA (I HANDLED ALL TT UNTIL WE COULD
AFFORD A FULL TIME ONE)

>        -Who has signatory authority for MTAs?
PRIMARY IS DIR, TT;  BACKUP IS DIR, OSPA

 Does the PI co-sign?
NO INSTITUTIONAL POLICY, BUT MOST EXTERNAL SOURCES REQUIRE IT ON THEIR FORMS

>        -Have you developed your own standard MTA form?
WE TRY TO USE THE "NIH APPROVED STANDARD", BUT USUALLY ONLY OTHER U's
RECOGNIZE IT.   OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE OTHER PARTIES' FORMS ARE
INDEMNIFICATION, INSURANCE, ETC. PROBLEMS THAT WE CANNOT ACCEPT BECAUSE WE
ARE THE STATE AND REMAKABLY SOVEREIGN (AT LEAST IN THE A.G.'S EYES!

 Do you offer it as a
>        model to the    other entity?
>        -How long does it usually take to process an MTA?
10 TO 15 MINUTES MAX, IF OFFICIAL IS PRESENT AND AVAILABLE.  PI'S NEVER
BRING THEM TO US UNTIL A WEEK AFTER THEY NEEDED THE MATERIAL; WE TRY TO BE
ACCOMODATING.

>        -What is your internal review process for Nondisclosure agreements?
SAME -- EXCEPT OSPA TYPICALLY HANDLES ONES RELATED TO SPONSOR DISCLOSING TO
US AND TT HANDLES ONES RELATED TO INVENTIONS DISCLOSURES AND BEYOND.  IT
TAKES A LITTLE LONGER TO GET "UP TO SPEED" ON WHAT THE INSITITUTION OUGHT
TO DO, FOR INVENTION-RELATED ONES, SO DIR, OSPA WOULD ONLY STEP IN IF DIR,
TT,  IS AWAY FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

>        -Who has signatory authority for Nondisclosure agreements? Does
the PI
>        co-sign?
>        -Have you developed your own standard Nondisclosure Agreements?
Do you
>        offer it as a model to the other party?
>        -How long does it usually take to process an Nondisclosure Agreement?
>
>You can respond to me directly at xxxxxx@po.cwru.edu or to the list.
>
>Thanks

CHUCK

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA