Re: using web links for funding notices Charlie Hathaway 29 Apr 1999 09:29 EST

Hi-

I have not digested this entire discussion but I applaud the idea of
presenting ONLY a modicum of info about funding opportunities provided a
web link to the grantor's site is included.  The presentation to faculty
can involve sending via email or posting on a web site.

WHY should we waste time typing up our own little synopses for each funder
when we know that deadlines, phone numbers, funding interests etc will
change anyway?  Just give the name, type of award (research grant,
fellowship, junior faculty) and general funding interest.
e.g.  http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs/privatefunding.htm

For federal RFAs, just present the agency pages, e.g. NIH Guide Search page.

While I respect the issue of getting investigators to actually read email
or look at a web site...not to mention learning to use the Internet
efficiently...I just can't imagine spending $$$ on elaborate text-heavy web
site maintenance when hard-nosed pre-submission review of applications
(including critique of science, guidelines adherence, ENGLISH, budget
realities, consistency between sections, etc) is very often ignored or
assumed.

The goal is to get people funded and increase revenue to the institution.
Creating beautiful web pages that market the research office presence and
invite faculty for leisurely mouse clicking strolls will not be as
important in the long run as teaching/forcing people to use the web
themselves and getting seriously pro-active on the application quality
issue.

Charlie Hathaway

At 02:57 PM 4/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello, Anne Womack,
>
>Rather than a regular newsletter we send out "targeted" email
>notifications of grants as they come to our attention.  In the email
>messages, links can be provided for application forms or more
>information concerning the grant opportunity.  Most email clients such
>as Netscape Communicator or Eudora allow for the creation of group
>mailing lists.  By setting up e-mail groups for disciplines or
>academic/administrative areas, one click forwarding of grant
>opportunities and web pages to the appropriate groups is available to
>your office.  This method allows for sending NSF notifications to
>science faculty without also mailing it to the Art department, and vice
>versa.
>    The only "hard part" of this method is the initial setup of a campus
>address book.  We used our campus phone book for an initial guide and
>then grouped the addresses using the same headings.  One feature is
>that, if a non-researcher wants off the list, you can readily delete
>them from the that group.  When you learn of new faculty members, they
>can easily be added to the appropriate group.
>    One advantage of this notification method is that the faculty hear
>of the grants with no delay.   Another advantage is that the faculty can
>easily digest a few emails each day whereas a listing of a hundred or so
>grants, whether paper or electronic,  tends to be ignored.  A third
>advantage is that, with a good signature file, you keep the research
>office name very public.
>    One "tip" if you are planning to use email for grant announcements.
>Make use of the SUBJECT line by clearly labeling the grant in that
>space.  That way, those recipients who are not interested can do a quick
>delete without reading the message.  We want to notify people not annoy
>them.
>

>--
>:-) Dave
>
>David S. Battey
>Information & Technology Coordinator
>Office of Research and Grants Administration
>College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, 29424
>Voice: (843)953-5673      Fax: (843)953-6577
>Internet:  http://www.cofc.edu/~orga/
>E-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
908A Belfer
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs