Re: query Gardner Congdon 27 Apr 1999 13:48 EST

Although convenient, easily updatable and easily accessible, web
publishing anything has a particular weakness compared to newsletters;
your subscribers must  _actively_  go to the page.  In other words, you
can't build it and assume they will come (or come back for that matter,
which may be more important). A paper newsletter provides an arguably
higher confidence of delivery (all jokes about campus mail aside).

However, paper is fairly environmentally irresponsible- especially if
you suspect that it is not being read. The question then becomes one of
how to ensure delivery. At least one option is via email. Depending on
what email client your faculty are using you can either send the web
version of your newsletter in line (the page opens within the email
reader as in Netscape) or as an attachment (clicking on the attachment
causes the browser to open your newsletter web page) or you can create a
text only email message with links to specific articles or announcements
(NIH uses this). All of these assure a nearly equal confidence in
delivery as that of paper, assuming your faculty use email.

Another option may be to simply do away with the newsletter entirely and
simply email each announcement (RFP, PA, BAA, etc.) to those faculty who
would be interested in it. This option is fairly labor intensive and of
course reduces those opportunities for general interest articles and the
like. This also creates the potential for an opportunity to be missed
based on not being completely familiar with every faculty's interest.

The key I believe is in confidence of delivery. If you have the staff,
directed email can work quite well. However, reliance solely on a web
page will almost certainly reduce delivery unless augmented with email
as described above or with the assistance of another method of getting
the information delivered to a passive audience.

My $.02
--
Gardner Congdon
Assistant Director, Program Development