Re: Model Equipment Loan Agreement Terry Edwards 19 Apr 1999 16:54 EST
We did this a couple of years ago.  I will try to locate the agreement.  I
believe it was more of a cooperative agreement than just a letter.  You'll need
to check to see if the University will need title to the equipment to cover it
under its insurance policy.  Transfer of title usually will mean the agreement
will need an "as is" warranty clause.  Agreement should include who is
responsible for delivery, installation/setup, maintenance, and return
provisions.  What specific requirements will the University have to provide
(i.e., space, electrical wiring, operator training, etc.).  What are the terms of
the loan?  Is use restricted to one project or is use allowable for other
research?  Any priorities as to use of equipment by University or the Company and
who designates the priorities?  Some companies may want to allow the use of the
equipment (a.k.a. "rent free") and depreciate the value of the equipment over the
time period.  Then turn around and donate the same equipment to the University at
salvage value.  This operates more like a lease or rental agreement, just no
charge for the services.

Hope this helps.

Terry G. Edwards