Re: Role of Research Administrator Howard M. Kaplan 15 Apr 1999 16:50 EST

Jennifer -

 Thanks for your own follow-up.  The specifics always bring in a nuance or
two.
 Here are some citations for "misconduct"-related documents and Web sites
that I have found helpful:
(1) all issues of the ORI Newsletter - for example, the current issue
(3/99) includes an article on the recent "Scientific Misconduct: An
International Perspective" conference in which the approaches of four
European countries are contrasted.  One conclusion resonates with today's
RESADM exchange: "After reviewing three cases that led to the creation of
the international commission, (Christophe) Schneider (representing DFG, the
major research funding agency in Germany) said, 'What the three cases have
in common is that none of the institutions involved was prepared for
dealing with the misconduct allegations when they were confronted with
them.  All necessary procedures had to be invented step by step during
their implementation.'"  A second article in the 3/99 issue, "When Can
Institutions Release Case Information?" includes a hypertext reference to
"ORI Addresses Ten Issues in Inquiries and Investigations," (3/95, updated
6/98).
(2) The statutory/regulatory notices that define the relative
responsibilities of awardee (and applicant) institutions and one or more
federal agencies:
(A) "Responsibilities of NIH and Awardee Institutions for the Responsible
Conduct of Research," NIH Guide, Vol. 24, No. 9, 3/10/95 (replacing the
version published in the 12/16/94 NIH Guide) -
<http://www.nih.gov/grants/guide/1995/95.03.10/notice-responsibilit004.html>
(B) the PHS regulation, 42 CFR Part 50, Subpart A (42CFR50.A);
(C) the NSF regulation, 45 CFR Part 689, Section 3 (45CFR689.3).
(3) Throughout the NIH Guide are "Findings of Scientific Misconduct" case
reports, as well as two detailed summaries of the "winning" and "overall"
circumstances - "Summaries of Closed Investigations Not Resulting in
Findings of Misconduct (1994-1997)" at <http://ori.dhhs.gov/summaries.htm>
and "Scientific Misconduct Investigations, 1993-1997" at
<http://ori.dhhs.gov/reports.htm>

Best regards,
Howie

Howard M. Kaplan, Director