Re: Job of a research administrator Howard M. Kaplan 15 Apr 1999 11:56 EST

I am writing to reinforce the responses of those who indicated that they
don't take lightly the issues raised by Sally Eckert-Tilotta.  As we are so
often reminded by the Public Health Service's Office of Research Integrity
(ORI), the "Responsibilities of...Awardee Institutions for the Responsible
Conduct of Research" include explicit stipulations regarding
issues/allegations for which our institutions SHALL be held accountable
when we accept PHS (and other agency) funding.

The kicker is that we - i.e., we Research Administrators and other
institutional representatives who "sign off" on proposals - shall be
equally liable for scientific misconduct or ethical impropriety in the
proposals we submit; whether or not they are funded.  It only took one ORI
report on "Findings of Scientific Misconduct" to convince me that the
potential for disaster can be found in virtually any activity associated
with both federally funded research and applications/proposals for
federally funded research.

Here's just one of many ORI Reports worth quoting:  "Notice is hereby given
that the Office of Research Integrity (ORI) has made final findings of
scientific misconduct in the following cases: (1) ...based on an
investigation conducted by X University, ORI found that XY, Ph.D. committed
scientific misconduct by submitting a false letter of collaboration in an
unfunded application to the Public Health Service (PHS).  Letters of
collaboration are a significant factor in the evaluation of applications.
...  (2) ORI found that YX, Ph.D., Y University, committed scientific
misconduct by falsifying three letters of recommendation submitted with and
in support of a FIRST Award application to the Public Health Service
(PHS)."  [NIH GUIDE, Vol. 25, No. 1, January 26, 1996; P. T. 34]

Happy Tax Day (a.k.a. Cover-Your-Accountability Day)!

Howie Kaplan

At 08:16 AM 4/15/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>We're having a debate here as to the responsibilities of a research
>administrator.  I would appreciate input from the list.
>
>Collaborative proposals get submitted involving a number of faculty/research
>staff across various colleges and centers (but within the institution).
We ask