Re: Ownership of Data on Corporate Contract Ross, Stuart 24 Mar 1999 21:05 EST

Ownership only means something if it means control over use.  Yet they seem
willing to give you certain rights to use.  Certainly you need some use of
the data to prepare a patent application, for example, or to do further
research, or to market a product embodying your discoveries, or just to
publish for academic purposes.  So the important point is,  what specific
rights of use do they intend to withhold?  If they want ownership but give
you written consent to all the uses you need, then maybe there's no problem.

Think of the real estate analogies.  Owning land that is tied up with
significant easements becomes ownership in name and pride only.  Renting a
house rather than owning it gives many people all the day-to-say control
they want.  Owning the house but leasing the land usually gives all the
control the occupant really needs.

Stuart A. Ross
Director, Grants & Contracts
P.O. Box 6850