Salary Survey for Directors of Sponsored Programs Jackie Givens Sponsored Programs 16 Mar 1999 12:19 EST

I'm calling upon my southern region colleagues to provide the following
information concerning salaries for Directors of Sponsored Programs/
Directors of Grants and Contracts or comparable position.  I realize we are
called many things.    I am in the process of gathering data to
substantiate the current salaries for the positions for promotion purposes.
I am told that we in the southeast are paid less than in other regions,
and therefore, need these comparables  - apples to apples.  I have done
this kind of survey in the past, and provided the information to those who
wanted it.  Of course, the issue of confidentiality will be observed . ..
previously, I either provided the name of the institution (if no objection)
, no individuals, or in the cases where people preferred, lumped the
institutions within a state.  This information is requested here on an
annual basis, to justify any increases in salary beyond the normal merit
raises.  I would think it would be valuable to any of you out there in the
southeast region who might also have to justify salary increases.

For any of you who might be interested, regardless of region, there is
excellent information available to you in your personnel offices - the CUPA
book  (College and University Personnel Association) that lists academic
positions typically associated with schools, including the position of
Director, Sponsored Research and Programs, code, 209.00 and the median
salaries ( low, med. high) in all kinds of institutions, with all kinds of
budgets.  Excellent overall comparables.   Only limitation is that it is

not information provided on a regional basis.  Thus, the reason for this
survey.    Please answer the following, providing data on the person
currently in the position or as that position would be advertised today:

>Position title:
 Institution:
>Terminal Degree:
>Years Experience:
>Indicate which/both:  Preaward _____ Postaward_____Responsibilities:
>Indicate number of staff in office_______
>Indicate what you can on salary ranges:  Start________Mid________High_______
>Or just current salary for that position:_______________.

> Please respond to me directly.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated,
and again, if you would like a copy of the data collected . .. please
indicate  Yes_______No______.  Jackie

Jacqueline Givens
Director of Contract and Grant Support
Office of Sponsored Programs