Re: concept of the Co-Principal Investigator Charles E. Graham 08 Mar 1999 15:50 EST

Karen, I thought this would interest you - C.

At 11:22 AM 3/8/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Long, long ago there was the concept of "Corresponding PI".  This was the
>PI among a group of co-PI's who got saddled with tha administrative burden
>of handling all the project's aqdministration, while all the co-PI's shared
>equally in the science.  Many researchers hark back to this in their own
>concept of "co-PI".
>
>NIH recognizes only one PI because the responsibility for the
>administrative -- and scientific -- decisions which have to be made on a
>project should be the responsiobility of one individual.
>
>Some other agencies recognize co-investigators as equals, at least
>scientifically, and have no recognition of a single individual being
>"responsible" (though they often correspond with the first name listed).
>
>So, an institution's treatment of the "co-investigator" concept depends on
>hot the institution itself approaches management of research projects.  In
>my experience, unless there is a single individual with both the
>responsibility and the authority to manage the project, necessary things
>won't get done, and everybody thinks, "George was supposed to do that!"
>So, whatever the name you give the position, one person should be in charge
>and is best called "PI", and other scientific colleagues (with heavy
>scientific responsibilities in the project) should be called "co-PI", and
>the relationship among the researchers is the responsibility of the PI.
>
>Of course, the concept of credit comes up, especially if promotion, tenure,
>and salary review rely heavily on individuals' research activity.  If the
>sponsored programs office's records are relied on as a record of the
>activities toward P&T&$, then the question of what activities are recorded
>and with what "title" is one which should be answered in collaboration with
>senior academic decision makers.
>
>The duties of a co-PI probably are, scientifically, technically and
>academically, on a level with the PI (not the same duties, or why two
>people), without the additional management duty of formal leadership.
>
>Chuck
>

>At 10:29 AM 3/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>I'm looking for a good definition of a Co-Principal Investigator.   I
>>noticed in the NIH Manual that a Co-PI is not formally recognized by
>>NIH.  NIH staff conduct official business only with the PI and AIO.
>>
>>I'd like to know how you would define the roles/duties of the Co-PI on a
>>grant.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Eleanor Cicinsky
>>Temple University

>Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
>Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
>Virginia Commonwealth University
>PO BOX 980568
>Richmond, VA  23298-0568
>Express Delivery Only:
>        Sanger Hall, Rm. 1-073
>        11th & Marshall Streets
>        Richmond, VA  23219
>Voice:  804-828-6772
>Fax     804-828-2521
> [...]

 * Charles E. Graham, PhD., DSc.
 *
 * xxxxxx@lsu.edu
 * (alias to xxxxxx@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu [faster])
 *
 * Director, Office of Sponsored Research/OSR
 * Interim Chair, Institutional Review Board
 * 117 David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University
 * Baton Rouge, LA 70803
 *
 * 225-388-8692    FAX: 225-388-6792
 *** NOTE NEW AREA CODE!!!***