Re: concept of the Co-Principal Investigator Herbert B. Chermside 08 Mar 1999 11:22 EST

Long, long ago there was the concept of "Corresponding PI".  This was the
PI among a group of co-PI's who got saddled with tha administrative burden
of handling all the project's aqdministration, while all the co-PI's shared
equally in the science.  Many researchers hark back to this in their own
concept of "co-PI".

NIH recognizes only one PI because the responsibility for the
administrative -- and scientific -- decisions which have to be made on a
project should be the responsiobility of one individual.

Some other agencies recognize co-investigators as equals, at least
scientifically, and have no recognition of a single individual being
"responsible" (though they often correspond with the first name listed).

So, an institution's treatment of the "co-investigator" concept depends on
hot the institution itself approaches management of research projects.  In
my experience, unless there is a single individual with both the
responsibility and the authority to manage the project, necessary things
won't get done, and everybody thinks, "George was supposed to do that!"
So, whatever the name you give the position, one person should be in charge
and is best called "PI", and other scientific colleagues (with heavy
scientific responsibilities in the project) should be called "co-PI", and
the relationship among the researchers is the responsibility of the PI.

Of course, the concept of credit comes up, especially if promotion, tenure,
and salary review rely heavily on individuals' research activity.  If the
sponsored programs office's records are relied on as a record of the
activities toward P&T&$, then the question of what activities are recorded
and with what "title" is one which should be answered in collaboration with
senior academic decision makers.

The duties of a co-PI probably are, scientifically, technically and
academically, on a level with the PI (not the same duties, or why two
people), without the additional management duty of formal leadership.

Chuck

At 10:29 AM 3/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a good definition of a Co-Principal Investigator.   I
>noticed in the NIH Manual that a Co-PI is not formally recognized by
>NIH.  NIH staff conduct official business only with the PI and AIO.
>
>I'd like to know how you would define the roles/duties of the Co-PI on a
>grant.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Eleanor Cicinsky
>Temple University