Re: *alert* survey question to follow Lou Pellegrino 03 Mar 1999 17:28 EST

Martha:

You should get some really "fascinating" responses to your question and
I really DO hope you will share them with the rest of the list -
especially some of the "horror stories!"  :-)

I recently retired from the Sponsored Programs Office at Purdue
University, but I still "lurk" on the list and try to help out my former
colleagues whenever I can.  In my experience at Purdue, it can take
anywhere from two weeks to two years to negotiate a contract with an
industrial sponsor - sometimes it isn't possible to EVER get them to
accept the intellectual property terms of a typical agreement between an
academic institution and an industrial sponsor - I know - been there,
done that !  At Purdue we've tried and tried with some companies and
finally had to tell them to "keep their money!" - their terms were
totally unacceptable to the "rules" set by Purdue's Board of Trustees.
That's a really tough one to "sell" to the faculty PI, but only rarely
have we had to do it, but we HAVE done it...

I think most of my colleagues in other Sponsored Programs offices will
tell you that it almost always takes LONGER than the PI expects !  It
doesn't matter whether that is two weeks or two years, it just a fact of
life that the PI EXPECTS you to be able to do it a LOT quicker than is
humanly possible, if you're to do your job well AND protect his/her
intellectual property (to say nothing about his/her gluteus maximus)...
:)

Please do share your results with the rest of us on the list - we all
need a good laugh now and then...

Regards,
Lou Pellegrino
Director, Sponsored Programs (now happily retired!)
Purdue Research Foundation/Purdue University

e-mail:  xxxxxx@wcic.cioe.com