Re: think about it. Mike Varney [List Owner] 01 Mar 1999 09:34 EST

If we could not send these messages to the list, it would cut down our
"garbage factor" significantly.

These messages happen.  People sending these get-rich-quick emails around
on the internet see mailing lists like ours as an easy way to get one email
to many many people.  Our response is always to send them an email telling
them politely not to send any further emails to our list, and then
permanantly block that address from ever subscribing again.  Unfortunately,
with services like Hotmail, these people can just create new accounts and
start all over again.

With our list being OPEN (i.e. anyone can subscribe without my giving the
OK) and UNMODERATED (any member can send a message to the list without my
reviewing it), this will happen.  The best thing we can do about it is to
just ignore the note and not clutter the list with responses.

-- Mike Varney / HRI

Barbara Bralver <xxxxxx@ALPHA.LEHMAN.CUNY.EDU> on 03/01/99 09:18:30 AM

Please respond to Research Administration Discussion List
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>

To:   xxxxxx@hrinet.org
cc:    (bcc: Mike L. Varney/HRI/DOH)
Subject:  Re: think about it.