Re: Academic vs. Finance Herbert B. Chermside 26 Feb 1999 12:22 EST

At VCU we are at about $100M/yr.  Our miniscule staff handles all pre-award
and significant amounts of non-financial post-award.  We report to VC
Research and Graduate Studies.  Recently it has been proposed (but the VP
doesn't like it) that the accounting come under th VP-R.

I have worked in most combinations and permutations of academic vs finance,
and suggest that the structure is much less important than an "service to
the PI" attitude and high professional skill.

Chuck

At 08:39 AM 2/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Happy Friday Everyone,
>
>I want to do a quick and easy survey in hopes of getting as
>many responses as possible.  I want to investigate the
>reporting structures:  How many OSP's report to a position
>in the academic side (VP of Research, Provost, etc.) and how
>many report to a position on the finance side (Controller, VP of
>Finance, Treasurer, etc.).
>
>Your help will be greatly appreciated!
>
>Does your Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) handle
>Preaward, Postaward, or Both?
>
>If Preaward only, do you report to an academic position or a
>finance position?
>
>If Postward only, do you report to an academic position or a
>finance position?
>
>If you are both Preaward and Postaward, do you report to a
>academic position or a finance position.
>
>Approximate yearly level of funding through OSP:
>
>Thank you!
>
>Ruth
>
>Ruth Tallman
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>Lehigh University
>e-mail: xxxxxx@lehigh.edu
>phone: (610) 758-3024

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA