Re: Modular Grants and Post Award Herbert B. Chermside 24 Feb 1999 08:33 EST

Here we find that modular grants only ADD to the administrtative burden.
We will still have to assemble detailed budgets, in order that we may
calculate F&A and to meet A-21 C. 10. and then "adapt" them to the modular
format.  Post award will have no more relief of administrative trivia than
already provided by expanded authorities.

Project management at the PI level may, in some cases, drift toward
disaster: the funding will be level, while in the real world costs actually
escallate from year to year, and not all PI's (or their staff support, if
any) have demonstrated that they can be provident over such a long period.
Finding ways to help avoid this, especially without adding administrative
expense, is an additional challenge.

I, too, must agree that modular grants provide benefit only to the sponsor;
that, at best, there is no increase of cost to the grantee; and that
grantees will get no relief until a number of changes are made in key
regulations, e.g., A-21.

Chuck

At 03:07 PM 2/23/99 -0600, Hopper, Janet L wrote:
>The Office of Research Administration and the Restricted Funds Accounting
>Office are working together to try to prepare for the NIH Modular Grants.
>Back in January there was a discussion on the application process but I did
>not see any mention of post award administration issues.  Has anyone got any
>idea how or if this will effect post award administration?  So far I don't
>see much change in the post award monitoring other than not doing budget
>revisions.   I asked if there were going to be new regulations published for
>Modular Post Award and was told that the SNAP guidelines would be used.
>There are a few issues caused by Modular awards that are not addressed by
>SNAP.  I am afraid at this point I have to agree with (I think it was) Peter
>Dolce who said this appeared to streamline the sponsor's work but not the
>applicant's or in this case the accountant's.
>
>As I am supposed to make presentations on this issue soon, I would
>appreciate any ideas or comments.
>

>Janet Hopper
>Manager, Restricted Funds Accounting
>University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
>xxxxxx@exchange.uams.edu
>(501)686-6845

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University