Re: Sponsored Program Office Staffing Janet Hahn 12 Feb 1999 11:13 EST

Don Schmigel wrote:

> I have been asked to benchmark staffing in our Office of Sponsored
> Programs with other organizations.  I would appreciate hearing from any
> of you who can spare a few moments to respond.
>
> ABOUT US:
> 1.  Our office provides centralized pre and post-award services to an
> investigator faculty of 103.
>
> 2.  We process between 175-200 applications, of all types, for
> extramural funding each year.
>
> 3.  We currently have 243 funded sponsored projects (research, training
> and service/demonstration projects).
>
> 4.  Current annual funding from federal agencies, pharmaceutical
> companies, voluntary health agencies, foundations and intramural
> sources is $27.5 million.
>
> 5.   We use the medical center departments of Human Resources,
> Payroll, Accounting and Purchasing, but must review and sign-off on all
> documents being processed to these departments from sponsored
> program projects.
>
> 6.   We do not have decentralized grants management personnel at the
> department level to support investigators.
>
> 7.  Our staffing consists of two positions, a Director and a Coordinator,
> Grants and Contracts Administration (Assistant Director).
>
> Can you tell me:
>
> ABOUT YOUR OFFICE:
>  WE ARE COMPLETELY CENTRALIZED WITH PRE AND POST AWARDS OPERATIONS, INCLUDING IRB AND IACUC, RESEARCH POLICY COMMITTEE WORK, AND SEED GRANTS.  ACADEMIC DEPARTMENTS TYPICALLY HAVE ONE SECRETARY FOR ALL DEPARTMENT FUNCTIONS, SERVING AN AVERAGE OF 12-20 FACULTY MEMBERS.  FACULTY MEMBERS = APPROXIMATELY 350, WITH CLASS LOAD OF 12 CREDIT HOURS AND 3 PREPARATIONS/SEMESTER. GRANTS ARE ENCOURAGED BY PRESIDENT AND MUCH LESS SO BELOW THAT WITH FEW INCENTIVES.
> 1.  Number and makeup of your staffing.
1.0 DIRECTOR
1.5 GRANT ADMINISTRATORS (POST AWARD AND PRE-AWARD BUDGET PREPARATION &
GENERAL ASSISTANCE)
1.0 sECRETARY (ALSO SERVES AS SUPPORT SECRETARY FOR IRB AND IACUC)
0.5 WE WILL BE HIRING A "PROPOSAL WRITER/AND DEVELOPER"

> 2.  Approximate current number of funded projects.
>100
> 3.  Approximate current level of annual funding.
> $3 MILLION
> 4.  Approximate number of investigators with whom your office has
> face-to-face interaction.
> 100
> 5.  Whether you provide both pre and post-award grants management
> services.  (If not both, which one?)
> LOTS OF PRE-AWARD ADVICE AND INFO FROM START TO FINISH
LOTS OF POST-AWARD GUIDANCE TO PI'S AND SECRETARIES
> 6.  Whether your institution has decentralized sponsored program
> (research administration or grants management) services available to
> your investigators aside from your office.
> ONLY DECENTRALIZED EFFORT COMES FROM THE PI'S
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Don Schmigel, Director
> Office of Sponsored Programs
> Children's Research Institute
> Washington, D.C.

Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A.                           xxxxxx@runet.edu
Director, Research & Sponsored Programs         phone: 540-831-5479
Radford University                              fax:  540-831-6636
Radford, VA  24142-6926                         http://www.runet.edu/~sponsrpr/