Re: Grant v. Contract -- definitions Sharon Cole 10 Feb 1999 15:08 EST

Rochelle,

NASA Grant and Cooperative Agreement Handbook Definitions:

Grant:  An agreement that provides funds to an educational institution or
other nonprofit organization to accomplish a public purpose of support or
stimulation authorized by Federal statute.  No substantial technical
involvement is expected between the funding organization and the grantee.

Cooperative Agreement:  An agreement that provides funds to an educational
institution or other nonprofit organization to accomplish a public purpose
of support or stimulation authorized by Federal statute.  Substantial
technical involvement between funding organization and the recipient is
expected and will be identified in the agreement.

Federal Acquisition Regulation Definition (FAR):

Contract:  A mutually binding legal relationship obligating the seller to
furnish the supplies or services and the buyer to pay for them.  It includes
all types of commitments that obligate the Government to an expenditure of
appropriated funds and that, except as otherwise authorized, are in writing.
In addition to bilateral instruments, contracts include awards and notices
of awards, job orders or task letters issued under basic ordering
agreements, letter contracts, orders such as purchase orders, under which
the contract becomes effective by written acceptance or performance.  and
bilateral contract modifications. Contracts do not include grants and
cooperative agreements covered by 31 USC 6301.  (For discussion as to
various types of contracts see FAR Part 16)

Of course awarding agencies could also be non-profit organizations,
foundations, local government and state agencies. The same definitions would
apply.

Sharon

At 11:37 AM 2/10/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone point me toward a document that outlines the differences
>between a grant and a contract?  Definitions of both would be handy.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rochelle Athey
>Sponsored Programs Director
>Cal Poly State University Foundation
>xxxxxx@calpoly.edu
>

>Attachment Converted: h:\EUDORA\ATTACH\Grant.rtf

-------
Sharon A. Cole
Grant and Contract Administrator
Division of Research
Office of Grants and Contracts
University of Houston
4800 Calhoun Blvd, E. Cullen Bldg, Rm 326
Houston, TX  77204-2163
E-Mail:  xxxxxx@UH.edu
Tele:    (713) 743-9238
Fax:     (713) 743-9227