Re: State review of proposals Johnnie Stokes 08 Feb 1999 11:49 EST

Sally,
A committee of the Arkansas Legislature tried this briefly in the early
70s.  After the then research coordinator (research administrator) gave the
committee a sampling of highly technical research proposals, they quickly
changed their mind.  One of the examples was a mathematics proposal to NSF
wherein the project description was a one sentence short paragraph
discussing  "martingales".  Martingales was the most recognizable word in
the sentence and had nothing to do with the bird, which of course they and
I did not know at that time.
Regards,
Johnnie

At 01:23 PM 2/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Our state legislature recently introduced a bill requiring state-level
review of
>proposals submitted by all state agencies (including higher education) to any
>federal or nonfederal sponsor.  In this bill, the state office responsible
for
>such a review would have 30 days in which to review the proposal, write a
>detailed report, and either approve or reject the proposal.  If it is
approved,
>then it can be submitted to the sponsor.  If it is rejected, then it can't.
>
>We have gathered information on how this would impact our institution, and
>representatives have testified before the committee reviewing the bill.
You can
>imagine our testimony on this prospect.
>
>Now that we are in a lull in activity, I am curious.  Is there ANY other
state
>that  has such a requirement?  Any contemplating one?
>
>Sally

>Sally Eckert-Tilotta, PhD, Assistant to the Director
>Office of Research and Program Development
>University of North Dakota
>Grand Forks, ND  58202
>email:  xxxxxx@mail.und.nodak.edu
>tel:  701-777-2049
>fax: 701-777-2504

John K. Stokes                                 Voice:      501-575-3845
Director                                            Fax:         501-575-3846
Research and Sponsored Programs
 and Technology Licensing
120 Ozark Hall
University of Arkansas