Re: Deficits in Sponsored Project Accounts Charles E. Graham 05 Feb 1999 11:37 EST

Jason, I have organized a number of such workshops, using Board of Regents
funding.

The nationally recognized speakers I have used are 1) Lynn Miner of
Marquette University: xxxxxx@vms.csd.mu.edu. His credentials are
impressive, and he is very experienced. He has an excellent book on
grantwriting. We have had him here 3 times because we was so well received.
He is extremely flexible and will work with you to get exactly what you
want for your audience.

Most recently we had Howie Kaplan from Georgia Southern University
xxxxxx@gasou.edu): he works with his wife Rebecca, as a team. they also
have a lot of expereince and are very flexible.

Both charge reasonably, and did two or three different types of session
over a two-day workshop. We were very happy with the results of both
groups. They addressed exactly what you are looking for.

We also had Bob Lucas once: he has his own business (ad in NCURA and SRA
newsletters) but was with U. Cal. system if I remember correctly. He
specializes in quality writing and techniqies to improve academic writing
in general, which he does well, and with humor. I think he does a workshop
on general grantwriting too, but I have never heard it.

If you need any more info on any of these speakers, give me a call.

Because we have a statewide subscription to SMARTS and GENIUS, which I
administer, I would like, as a service, to offer a computer lab or
presentation to help USL boost participation  - only costs to you are
expenses. Please get in touch with me if you are interested. We are getting
ready to market the faculty database statewide, so this is a good time to
make sure USL has its best faculty enrolled - actually my figures show you
have 78 enrolled currently - the 3rd highest in the State - not bad at all
- but we all could improve!

god luck with the workshop. Charlie

At 01:41 PM 2/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I am trying to plan a workshop at the University of Southwestern Louisiana.
>One of the topics I am interested in presenting is "Effective Grantwriting
>Techniques"  Does anyone have any recommendations on speakers/information
>sources.  Has anyone organized such a topic for a workshop?  If you do,
please
>let me know.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>************************************
>Jason J. Guilbeau
>Administrative Research Assistant
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>University of Southwestern Louisiana
>Phone:  318-482-5811
>Fax:  318-482-5102
>Email:  xxxxxx@usl.edu
>************************************

 * Charles E. Graham, PhD., DSc.
 *
 * xxxxxx@lsu.edu
 * (alias to xxxxxx@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu [faster])
 *
 * Director, Office of Sponsored Research/OSR
 * Interim Chair, Institutional Review Board
 * 117 David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University
 * Baton Rouge, LA 70803
 *
 * 225-388-8692    FAX: 225-388-6792
 *** NOTE NEW AREA CODE!!!***