Re: When is a grant a grant? Herbert B. Chermside 02 Feb 1999 10:39 EST

This sounds like some situations in Virginia, when an "award" comes in as a
budget supplement rather than a payment into resatricted funds.

Grants, contracts, etc. (Agreements) generate indiovidual accounts in the
ledger for restricted funds, and is treated like anything we'd
professionally call a Sponsored Program..  $ that comes in as a budget
ammendment has very different rules.

Chuck

At 02:27 PM 2/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Our institution has a policy of redistirbuting indirect costs to various
>cost centers on campus.  This applies to all grants from external sources,
>including state offices.  The University is also part of a state system.
>Recently, one of our departments received a "grant" from our system office,
>through a competitive process requiring submission of a proposal.  These
>funds are awarded to us as part of the funds we are allocated from the
>system office, not as "separate" funds. My Business Office is saying the
>award is not a grant and the indirect costs policy does not apply.  The
>faculty are claiming the same thing and they are claiming that normal grant
>review/submission procedures do not apply.
>
>Anybody ever have this type of issue come up before?  Comments?
>Suggestions?  When is a grant a grant?
>
>Nancy Kay Peterson
>Director of Grants
>Somsen Hall Room 202-C