Re: When is a grant a grant? Janet Hahn 01 Feb 1999 17:04 EST

We are a state university.  "Budget initiatives" to the state to fund
specific programs are submitted each year.  When awarded, funding is
accomplished through an increase in the university's operating budget
that year or that pair of years.  It does not go through our Research
and Sponsored Programs office and although there is a strict university
procedure for submitting such initiatives, it is not the same as ours.
No indirect costs are awarded.  It is simply a way for the General
Assembly to add  a little extra to the operating budget of one school or
another on a one-time basis to do something.  Janet

Nancy Peterson wrote:

> Our institution has a policy of redistirbuting indirect costs to various
> cost centers on campus.  This applies to all grants from external sources,
> including state offices.  The University is also part of a state system.
> Recently, one of our departments received a "grant" from our system office,
> through a competitive process requiring submission of a proposal.  These
> funds are awarded to us as part of the funds we are allocated from the
> system office, not as "separate" funds. My Business Office is saying the
> award is not a grant and the indirect costs policy does not apply.  The
> faculty are claiming the same thing and they are claiming that normal grant
> review/submission procedures do not apply.
>
> Anybody ever have this type of issue come up before?  Comments?
> Suggestions?  When is a grant a grant?
>
> Nancy Kay Peterson
> Director of Grants
> Somsen Hall Room 202-C