Re: semi-hypothetical question Janet Hahn 01 Feb 1999 13:51 EST

Bill,
 Obviously, funds can be budgeted and used for all sorts of research and
faculty development sorts of expenses, such as travel to meetings
associated with this project or others; computers and other pieces of
equipment; page charges; supplies, technical assistance, office
furniture, etc.  To the extent that these things aren't already being
taken care of by donor or anyone else, this makes a lot of sense.
 If all of this PI's needs and desires are already being met, I'd be
interested in the answer myself.  Janet Hahn
William Campbell wrote:

> RESADMers
>
> I know a researcher who has found a wealthy private donor to support his
> research.  (An enviable situation, no?)  The donor will pay the researcher's
> university for 25% of his time.  No problem there, we all know how to do that.
> However, the donor is also willing to pay an additional sum to the researcher,
> above and beyond his current salary.   (An even more enviable position to be
> in.)
>
> Question--what's the best way to handle that additional payment?  If the donor
> pays it directly to the researcher, the donor cannot deduct it as a charitable
> contribution.  If the donor pays it to the researcher's university, he may run
> up against overload and fringe benefit issues, though--so far, at least--the
> university is willing to count this extra payment as covered by their standard
> 'one day a week for consulting' rule.
>
> What are the other possibilities?
>
> Regards, Bill Campbell

Janet M. Hahn