Re: Co-PI's on NSF applications Peter J. Dolce 01 Feb 1999 10:27 EST

The NSF cover sheet has a place to name Coinvestigators and for them to sign, no
matter where they're employed.  So far as NSF is concerned, however, it's making
an award to one institution: it does not "see" the subcontracting organization,
and the prime awardee, not NSF, is accountable for the financial, admnistrative
and scientific performance of the subcontractor.  The authorized official who
signs for the applicant organization commits the prime to that responsibility.
The certification on the NSF face page doesn't say that, but the subcontract
that will be issued if an award is made should spell out what the prime expects
of the sub.

"The concept," the NIH PHS 398 says, "of coprincipal investigators is not
formally recognized.  PHS staff conduct official business only with principal
investigators and institutional officials."  Seems to me NSF's use of the term
is unfortunate because it confuses "credit," which matters a lot to scientists,
with financial and administrative accountability.  Sometimes our faculty members
try to use the term on their NIH applications; we tell them to change it.  If
credit is to be shared, that should be done in publications.

Charles E. Graham wrote:

> A question has arisen whether a subcontractor may be a co-PI on a NSF
> application.
>
> Obviously two scientists at different institutions may colloborate equally
> on development of a proposal, and the Investigator in the potential
> subcontracting institution wants the recognition of being named co-PI on
> the application. GOALI might be a case of special interest where the sub is
> a business and the award is specifically to promote indistry collaboration.
>
> The sub-contract is merely a method of getting funds from one instituition
> to the other. Should it detract from recognition of a major contributor? So:
>
> 1) Will NSF allow an individual from the subcontactor to appear on the
> signature page?
>
> 2) If Yes, does the Co-Pi sign?
>
> 3) What are the implications, if any, for the Prime authorized official
> signing a signature page and certifications when another instiution is
> represented on it?
>
> 4) Has anyone done this, and if so with what consequences.
>
> Thanks, Charlie.
>
>  ****************************************************
>  * Charles E. Graham, PhD., DSc.
>  *
>  * NOTE NEW  E-mail address: xxxxxx@lsu.edu
>  *   alias: xxxxxx@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu (faster)
>  *
>  * Director, Office of Sponsored Research/OSR
>  * Interim Chair, Institutional Review Board
>  * 117 David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University
>  * Baton Rouge, LA 70803
>  *
>  * 225-388-8692    FAX: 225-388-6792
>  *** NOTE NEW AREA CODE!!!***